Thursday, August 23, 2007

Adult angst

As we all grow up and being our "adult" lives--you know, marriage, real jobs, kids, mortgages, all that good stuff--there are a few things that I realized I'm sad to leave behind. Now that I'm crossing into a new phase of life, I'm becoming nostalgic for things that were true of myself just a few years ago. Not that I'm old or anything...I'm just not a kid anymore.

Things I actually miss about being a teen/young adult:
  • Laughing about something completely ridiculous with my friends until I couldn't breathe...then laughing some more.
  • Walking into a restaurant or store with a group of friends and being loud and boisterous, and completely carefree, unconcerned about anyone's opinion but each others.
  • Late night sessions of chick flicks and cookie dough with the girls, then talking about life until we fall asleep.
  • Having larger-than-life aspirations and grandiose ideas about what the future (in particular, my future) would be like.
  • Wearing pajamas in public, and not minding a bit if people thought it was strange.
  • Curling up somewhere with a good book and staying there all day, stopping only for bathroom breaks and snack refills.
  • Taking afternoon naps, then staying up until almost dawn, not because we were doing anything in particular, but just because we didn't want the night to end.
  • Being easily amused.
  • Dressing in costume for parties, or just because, even when it wasn't anywhere near Halloween.
  • Being able to try just about anything, wear just about anything, and act just about any way and have people just attribute it to "being young."
  • Going to midnight showings of movies like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter with a group of friends and reveling in the dorkiness of it all.
  • Calling up a friend at any time of the day or night, and being close enough to walk or take a short drive to see them.

I'm sure I could still do these things if I really wanted to, but if you saw someone my age doing them, wouldn't you automatically think I must be immature? In our "adult" world, are we forgetting how to have fun? Or has this always just been part of growing up?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home