Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Musings of a 24 year old

As I turn the ripe old age of 24 today, I think the quote from Amanda this morning sums it up best: "I feel like I'm still 18, only with 5 years experience."

Only make that 6. I am now 6 years removed from that girl in high school...even though most of the time I feel as though I'm still her, only I play house all the time now and pretend to know what I'm doing.

I know that when I was a kid, I figured I would have it all together when I was 24. And sure, things are definitely looking that way: husband, two dogs, college degree, house, car, job at a major newspaper. Okay, so I'm very happy, even if I still feel like my 9-year-old self playing dress-up.

Here's a hypothetical Saturday for 9-year-old me and my best friend, Miranda.

Me: "Let's ten-like we're married and have kids and we're going to the grocery store."
Miranda: "No, I want to be a working mom. Let's be working moms cooking dinner."
Me: "Okay. My husband will be Jason, and he's a firefighter."
Miranda: "As long as my husband can be a doctor."
Me: "Yeah. And I have two kids..."
Miranda: "I just have one, a daughter named Catalina."
Me: "Catalina? Isn't that a kind of salad dressing?"
Miranda: "...and I'm going to be a teacher."
Me: "But I wanted to be a teacher. I guess we could be teachers together."
Miranda: "I guess so."
Me: "No, wait...I think I'd rather be a t.v. news reporter or a trapeze artist. What do you think?"

Oh, what crazy dreams I had. I wonder what 9-year-old me would think of 24-year-old me?

Probably a combination of: "I can't believe you eat raw fish. And like it." "You run for how long? Why, is someone chasing you?" and "Your husband is an engineer? Like, on a train?"

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

I think my nine year old self would ask why I don't drink coke all the time and stay up late every night. Or why I don't still do gymnastics on the living room furniture. Because that was all I really wanted out of life at 9.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Jesse said...

I can't think of a better way to put how you feel when you're 24...great post.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home